- The level of international presence in Brussels is second only to New York
- Belgians pay among the highest tax rates in Europe
- Belgium has the largest urbanised population in Europe
- Belgium has more castles per kilometre than any other country in the world
- Cricket is thought to be a Belgian invention, not British
Relocation to Belgium
Belgium is an established center of international business and governmental organizations, which makes it a common relocation destination for expats. Whether living in the capital of Brussels, the port city of Antwerp, or one of the smaller locales, Eurohome can help expats transition into their new home.
Are you planning to emigrate to Belgium? If so, there is plenty to do in preparation. Contact us today to discuss how we can help organize your relocation!
See our relocation services for Belgium
Eurohome Relocation has more than 20 years of experience in helping expats relocate worldwide. Our local team of specialists can assist with everything necessary to make a successful transition.
We are fully familiar and aware of how to navigate Belgian immigration regulations. We are available to teach our clients about typical cultural habits and etiquette. We can advise about necessary documentation as provide guidance to help our clients quickly settle in, acclimate, and feel at home.
“The Eurohome team were all very efficient and helpful. All told, it made a typically stressful experience virtually stress free.”
Mr. GriffithsRead all stories
What should you take into consideration when relocating to Belgium?
- In Belgium, you are only allowed to rent a house for set periods of 3, 7 or 9 years. If you would like to end the rental agreement at another time, you would have to pay a substantial penalty. Expats that are staying in Belgium for less than 3 years are advised to indicate this in the rental agreement, and together with the landlord agree on a set date when you would like the contract to end in order to avoid penalties.
- Registering in the municipality where you will be living can sometimes be a lengthy process. In Brussels and other Belgian cities, you may need to wait up to 2 months for your request to be handled. It is therefore advised to start this procedure as soon as possible.
- Since Belgium is essentially split in 2 language regions, with the North speaking a form of Dutch and the South a form of French, speaking either language is rather sensitive. The French speaking Belgians should not make any mistakes when speaking Dutch and the same holds true the other way around. Consequently, as an expat, it is better to use English in business communication rather than choosing a language side. Most people in Belgium can speak and understand English.
- In Brussels there is a tight housing market, and finding an affordable rental house is not easy and takes time. In some situations, it can be easier to buy a house rather than rent one. Eurohome Relocation can connect you to local realtors.
- When looking for an affordable place to live, an option could be to look outside of Brussels, for example in Leuven. However, traffic to and from Brussels is heavy, especially during rush hour. You will need to contend with daily traffic jams. In some situations, public transportation may be convenient. Your Eurohome Relocation-consultant can advise you about this.
Eurohome and relocation to Belgium
Eurohome is active on a global scale and handles a full range of relocation services in each country. Our main priority is to help each client make a successful transition into their new country by taking a proactive, highly organized and always communicative approach throughout the entire relocation process. Our experienced relocation specialists will personally provide valuable local information and are prepared to answer any questions our clients and their families will have about their new home.
Thanks to our participation in international relocation networks, such as ERC (Employee Relocation Council) and EuRA (European Relocation Association), we can assist you with your relocation no matter which country you are relocating to.